I had my first lesson of Playback Theatre today. According to the lecturer Theatre is staged, everything from the props to the set were all set up beforehand. With the addition of Playback, the actors on stage take whatever the audiences suggest and create a scene.
"Whose line is it anyway" immediately popped into my mind. I was elated, I get to finally learn something I secretly have been yearning so much for.
"The key to acting is to not act" I understand this because I have been put in front of a camera before, albeit very little times. Funny enough, the Director of Design School gave us a talk in the morning and gave great emphasis on Embracing Contradiction.
Back to the lesson, the lecturer, Chris, talked about what a good actor is to him. He said that a great actor compliments others, they make the other actor's role believable. This really gave me a new insight about acting.
I was so hyped to start the improvisation. I was caught off gaurd when Chris literary asked me and another student to stand in the circle and start. All I could do was stare awkwardly at the students. I was ready to go, I was ready to have fun and let loose. But, that fear still lies in me, that fear of not getting it right or just looking daft. But this is improv there IS no right or wrong. By the time I convinced myself to go ahead, Chris stopped us and asked us to go back to our seats. I was utterly gutted .
Whenever I get into a social situation whereby I consciously knew if I were to just do something, that would result in a much better experience and not do anything, I will feel just angry at myself. Anyway it's just the first lesson, I was promised that each lesson will be different, which is something to really look forward to. Till next time!
Cheers
Sman
No comments:
Post a Comment