I have recently started to re-watch and find new coming of age movies (The Spectacular Now, The Way Way Back, Perks of Being a Wallflower etc.) I hope to one day write a coming of age movie or short film that inspires people or at least have them relate to some aspects.
Out of all the coming of age movies I have watched so far, my favourite has to be The Spectacular Now (2013). What makes it stand out from the rest is the way that the characters are written, everyone is a flawed individual in some way and they stumble their way through life not really knowing what to expect. There is a sense of realness in their conversations/reactions towards each other.
I stumbled into a social gathering yesterday, hosted by a mutual friend of a close friend of mine. Being the socially inapt being that I am, my first instinct was to embarrassingly hide in the washroom and come up with a game plan. I eventually got out and met with some people from a Photography Club, I made small talk and had a chance to find out a little about them. All of them were younger than me, although I believe that age doesn't define a person, being the eldest in the group, the "young adult", I felt small with the fact that I'm incapable of having some form of social skills at this point of time in my life.
In a way I feel that I am still coming of age, finding a way to define myself as a person and learning to speak to strangers with more confidence.
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment